Thursday, December 13, 2007

Peter is a spinner too



Peter, my boyfriend, is an integral part of the Headfelt operation. He began as my facilitator. He put the spinning wheel together and added accessories to it. The first thing he made was a yarn stretcher and then he added a skein winder. He built a drum carder all by hand. This involved an entire winter of cutting and bending wire and inserting it through a piece of leather. The drum was once a log that he shaved down to size on a lathe. He is the sole card operator because it can be a bit touchy since he motorized it with an old drill and a sewing machine pedal.
Last summer my friend Kim gave me a spinning wheel. It is a primitive affair (I call it the Cave Wheel). I never really took to it because the spinning action was less than smooth and the Louet wheel works very well. The Cave Wheel sat alone by the bookshelves getting dusty until one day Peter decided to make it work. His first attempt at spinning was very chunky but still, recognizable yarn. He has gotten a lot better and I am now using his yarn as well. He is still thinking about how he can motorize the Cave Wheel. If that happens, I guess I will call it the Model T.

No comments: