I think of my hats as wearable art. I am able to create color and texture with different yarns and the acid dyes that I use. I follow the same process building a hat as I use for art projects: I visualize the finished product and then wend my way to my final destination. I think of the yarn as lines of color and the needles are the pencils or pens. So, I end up with a sort of sculpture constructed with lines of color rather than with clay or stone.
When I first started making scarves I was inspired by Hundertwasser. He is one of my favorite artists and his use of color is mind boggling. I feel limited by the yarn but still satisfied, I am not so wild and require closure. Every color must be answered by a complementing color and must fall in the proper order because, in the end, a scarf is a scarf and someone might want to wear it.
Although needlework may be classified as a craft I don't see it as such. Artists work in different mediums and, for me at this point in time, I choose yarn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment